Prof. Bill Tolman (Chair of Chemistry, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities) created a diverse and inclusive environment within the department for faculty, staff, post-docs and students.
His accomplishments towards improving diversity climate include:
1. Created Committees:
- Diversity committee – that included graduate students and faculty
- Student Seminar Committee
- Joint Safety Team
- UG Climate via Student experiences in research university survey
- Meet and greets – sense of social events
- Mental Health survey – attention to mental health of graduate students
- Open faculty searches with search committee preparation
- Outreach (K-12): high participation URGs
- Developed mission statement embracing diversity of communities and ideas
- Striving for inclusivity
4. Continuing Education:
- Diversity/ally training, civility workshop, mental health workshops
- Developed an AlLY sticker
5. Community Building
- Community of Chemistry Graduate Students (CCGS):
- Student driven group that promotes a healthy academic environment for all graduate students.
- Connect students with existing University resources and refine and/or develop new resources aimed at increasing graduate student health, happiness and productivity.
- Graduate Student
- Removed requirement for chemistry subject GRE
- Discussed attention to diversity/equity during recruiting
- GLBTQ Ally training for faculty & students